This youth competition is very popular and we take great pleasure in providing a local stage on which our future musicians can perform and enrich their talent. Our young people produce a high standard in the District making our competitions in to inspiring and engaging concerts. Instruments played included Vibraphone, Euphonium, Tenor Horn, Trumpet, Glockenspiels, Harp, Oboe, Soprano Saxophone and many more.
The District 1070 Young Musician competition takes place annually and all Rotary Clubs are invited to submit entries, preferably following local heats. Entrants must be located within the Rotary District 1070 area. If in doubt, see District Map for further information.
First decide on a date and venue for your local competition or event, bearing in mind that all entries for the District Semi Finals in 2014 need to be made by 27th January, 2014. Only a Rotary Club in District 1070 can make entries to this event.
- Find someone to act as an adjudicator for your event. Ask a local music teacher or the head of music in a local secondary school. If they don’t feel competent to do it, they may know someone who is.
- Contact your local schools and advertise the competition. The District Competition is open to young people who permanently reside within District 1070 or who attend schools within District 1070.
- Charge for admission to your event if you wish to help defray costs. You could also sell refreshments and put up displays about your local Rotary Club, District events, RIBI events and RI events. This is a good PR opportunity.
- Look at the rules for Young Musician in Rotary District 1070 to find the categories and age groups and other restrictions. Don’t worry about how many entries you have, the role of your adjudicator is to make sure the young people you enter to the District event are of a suitable standard and will be competent to perform in public.
- Don’t forget each club can only make one entry for each category to the District semi-finals.
- Entrants appreciate some feedback from your adjudicator, written or verbal.
- Remember to look carefully at the rules about accompanists. No recorded backing tapes are allowed in the District Competition, but may be used for your local event, and then find a suitable accompanist for subsequent events.
- If you only have a small entry, then you may just ask your adjudicator to individually audition the entrants to establish the standard of the young people. Remember you do not want to frighten young people whoare just learning an instrument; the aim is to encourage them, not to put them off!.
• Solo Instrumental
• Solo Vocal
• Instrumental or Vocal Ensembles (An ensemble is 2 - 5 players)
• Musical Groups, Choirs. (Groups and Choirs are 6 or more)
• Junior: Age up to 10 years
• Intermediate: 11 - 13 years
• Senior: 14 - 17 years
Key Dates this year are:
27th January 2015 - all entries to the District semi-finals must be received by the District Organiser
7th March 2015 - Northern Semi Final Time 08.50 am to 2pm
Venue: John Ferneley College Enrichment Centre, Scalford Road, Melton Mowbray,LE13 1LH
7th March 2015 - Eastern Semi Final Time 09.30am to 4 PM
Venue: King John School, Market Road, Thrapston, N’hants. NN14 4JU
8th March 2015 - Southern Semi Final Time 09.00am to 3.30 pm
Venue: St. Ivo School, High Leys,St. Ives, Cambs. PE27 6RR
22nd March 2015 - District Final. "Tickets available on the door £4"
Venue: Leicester Grammar School, London Road, Great Glen, Leicester,LE8 9FL
28nd March 2015 - Regional Final organised by D1040.
Venue: St Peter's School, York, YO30 6AB.
16th May 2015 - RIBI (Bi-National - Britain & Ireland) Final.
Venue: Darwen Vale High School, Blackburn Road, Darwen, Lancashire BB3 0AL
Your District Contact - Please submit Entry Forms to Rotarian Gemma Kiddy* (Rotary Club of Leicester Novus) before the above stated deadline. You can download entry forms and other useful documentation from the box on the left of this page. Should you need more information or guidance Gemma will be more than happy to help you.
Get social – You can keep up to date and share your competition stories on
our District Young Musician Competition Facebook page!
The bigger picture – Follow the progression of our young musicians as the winners proceed to the RIBI Finals!
11TH ANNUAL ROTARY DIST.5340 SUMMER MUSIC CAMP IN SAN DIEGO
This year marks the 11th annual three week summer camp program for talented young classically trained musicians. The camp will be held 11 July to August 2, 2015.
Here is a short film from the 10th annual camp held in 2014: http://tinyurl.com/n6bl4ur
The first date to receive auditions was 10 December 2014 and now the final deadline is 20 February 2015. New applicants will be notified of their acceptance by 1 March 2015. Here are the chairs that are still open: 8 Violins, 4 Violas, 1 Double Bass, 1 Trumpet and 1 French Horn.
“It has been an amazing experience regarding both, the musical and social activities. I had the great chance to work with extraordinary musicians and meet them outside the rehearsal rooms. In such a short time we managed to do a lot of work and have fun at the same time. I`m sad that it`s already over but I`m sure we`ll meet again!”
For more information contact: email@example.com
For personal security reasons, the private addresses of Rotarians are not displayed on this site. If, for some reason, you are unable to forward documentation by email, please contact the person named giving your name, home address and telephone number and contact details will be provided to you once your bone fides have been established.